Tenants or Landlords
Customers establishing a Tenant account are required to submit a Tenant Authorization form and a Lien Offset payment of $190 prior to the service start date – exceptions cannot be made.
Please review the information we will need:
- The service address
- The name(s) to appear on your account
- Your telephone number(s)
- Your email address
- Your mailing address
- The date service should begin - Please note that we do not schedule service requests on weekends or holidays
- Owner Information (Owner name and mailing address - the owner's mailing address must be different from the service address)
- Same day service requests will need to be in person at our main office between 8:00am and 4:30pm Monday-Friday. Payment must be made with cash, check or money order. No credit/debit cards accepted.
The Tenant Authorization form must be completed and signed by the legally recorded property owner or authorized agent. Forms can be returned to email@example.com or faxed to 703.466.6863. Please allow us at least 4 hours after submission on a business day to process your form.
After the form is submitted, please call our Customer Service Department at 703.698.5800 between the hours of 8:00am - 6:00pm ET, Monday through Friday, to request service. We will assign your account number so that you may make your $190.00 Lien Offset Payment.
The Lien Offset may be paid through the following methods:
- Our Customer Portal allows one-time payments, without registration. If you choose to pay by bank account, there is no service fee.
- Speedpay offers payment by phone for a convenience fee for using this service of $4.25 - 1.877.311.9969, TTY 711.
- In Person- Cash, check or money order payments are accepted at our main office Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 4:30pm ET, except holidays.
8570 Executive Park Avenue
Fairfax, VA 22031
The $190 Lien Offset payment will be applied to the final bill when the account is closed.
There are no additional fees required at the time you open your account. However, your initial bill will include an Account Charge of $44. Bills are rendered on a periodic basis. Your first bill will be generated by the next meter reading scheduled for the property.
Again, the Tenant Authorization form and $190.00 Lien Offset payment must be submitted prior to the service start date in order to establish service with us.
|Tenant Authorization Form
|Click here to download
Since July 1, 2012, due to a modification in the Code of Virginia §15.2-5139 and §15.2-2119, which governs water and sewer systems, Fairfax Water has required two additional items to establish service for tenants.
- Tenant Authorization form, completed and signed by the owner/landlord
- Remittance of $190 Lien Offset payment, paid by the tenant
An owner may endorse a waiver of the payment, if the tenant receives rental assistance from local, state or federal agencies. To do so, attach relevant documentation to the Tenant Authorization Form.
The $190 is applied to the tenant’s final bill, to mitigate risk to you, the owner. Fairfax Water will send the owner a copy of the tenant’s final bill and an additional notice if a balance remains unpaid past 15 days. If we do not receive payment from the tenant and made reasonable effort to collect, we will contact the owner to settle the bill, since final responsibility rests there.
Unpaid debts to Fairfax Water constitute a lien on the property in accordance with the Code, which states the following:
Such fees and charges, and any penalty and interest thereon, shall constitute a lien against the property, ranking on parity with liens for unpaid taxes.
Our office hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, at 8570 Executive Park Avenue in Fairfax, Virginia 22031.