Tenants or Landlords
Tenant accounts are required to submit the Tenant Authorization form and a Lien Offset payment of $190 to establish service. Therefore, information cannot be entered online.
Please review the information we will need:
- The service address
- The name(s) to appear on your account
- Your telephone number(s)
- Your email address
- Your mailing address
- The date service should begin - Please note that we do not schedule service requests on weekends or holidays
- Owner Information (Owner name and mailing address - the owner's mailing address must be different from the service address)
The Tenant Authorization form must be completed and signed by the legally recorded property owner or authorized agent. Forms can be returned to email@example.com or faxed to 703.466.6863. Please allow us at least 2 hours, after submission, on a business day, to process your form.
After the form is submitted, please call our Customer Service Department at 703.698.5800 between the hours of 8:00am - 6:00pm ET, Monday through Friday, to request service.
The $190 Lien Offset payment shall be paid by the tenant, within 48 hours of service start date. The Lien Offset payment will be applied to the final bill, when the account is closed. We can give you further instruction on how to make this payment, when we assign your account number.
- Our Customer Portal allows one-time payments, without registration. If you choose to pay by bank account, there is no service fee.
- Speedpay offers payment by phone for a convenience fee for using this service of $2.95 - 1.877.311.9969, TTY 711.
There are no additional fees required at the time you open your account. However, your initial bill will include an Account Charge of $40. Bills are rendered on a periodic basis. Your first bill will be generated by the next meter reading scheduled for the property.
|Tenant Authorization Form|
|Click here to download|
Since July 1, 2012, due to a modification in the Code of Virginia §15.2-5139 and §15.2-2119, which governs water and sewer systems, Fairfax Water has required two additional items to establish service for tenants.
- Tenant Authorization form, completed and signed by the owner/landlord
- Remittance of $190 Lien Offset payment, paid by the tenant
An owner may endorse a waiver of the payment, if the tenant receives rental assistance from local, state or federal agencies. To do so, attach relevant documentation to the Tenant Authorization Form.
The $190 is applied to the tenant’s final bill, to mitigate risk to you, the owner. Fairfax Water will send the owner a copy of the tenant’s final bill and an additional notice if a balance remains unpaid past 15 days. If we do not receive payment from the tenant and made reasonable effort to collect, we will contact the owner to settle the bill, since final responsibility rests there.
Unpaid debts to Fairfax Water constitute a lien on the property in accordance with the Code, which states the following:
Such fees and charges, and any penalty and interest thereon, shall constitute a lien against the property, ranking on parity with liens for unpaid taxes.
Our office hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, at 8570 Executive Park Avenue in Fairfax, Virginia 22031.