There have been a number of articles published recently informing utility customers of a nationwide bill paying scam. In effort to increase awareness of this issue we have included links to the articles below:
If someone calls or shows up on your doorstep saying they work for Fairfax Water, here are some tips to help you verify that they are one of our employees:
- If you receive a call offering “discounts” or requesting account information or offering to pay your bill – this is a scam. Fairfax Water does not call asking for your account information nor do we offer discounts for service.
- Fairfax Water employees have photo identification with them at all times when they are on the job. Our vehicles and field staff’s clothing bear our logo (see below). During the summer months there may be Fairfax Water summer interns in your neighborhood who do not wear uniforms, however each one will have a Fairfax Water photo identification displayed prominently.
- If someone comes to your door and identifies themselves as a Fairfax Water employee, please ask for their identification or call 703.698.5800, TTY 711 to verify before letting them into your home.
- Fairfax Water employees do not receive or accept any form of payments during service calls and we do not collect water-service fees door-to-door.
- Most water meters are located outside of a customer’s home. Therefore Fairfax Water employees typically DO NOT require access to a customer’s home to read a meter.